12 CDs Done

Monday, October 29, 2012

What happened, how is this possible?

As I sit here mixing my new CD "Boogaloo Zoo", song after song I am floored at how awesome these new tunes are. Really, no kidding.

What happened? How is this possible? I keep asking myself this...I mean this is the 8th CD I have done this year, shouldn't I be running out of steam...taking shortcuts, turning out ideas?

I honestly don't know how to explain it, this CD may be the best thing I've ever done! Weird.

Here are my thoughts on all the tracks as I mix...

Porcupine Petting Zoo - I wrote this with my son Wil on a road trip. Very George Thorogood-ish. Cool bluesy guitar, hard vocal...funny. We recorded all the drums, bass and guitar live on stage before a gig. Added vocals and lead guitar later.

Piggies - Yes, The Beatles classic (gone techno/punk?). This was a last minute add on, originally I was going to do a whole pig polka medley, but I changed my mind. This track rocks hard. I like it.

The Lion Sleeps Tonight - I have ALWAYS loved this song, used to have the 45. When I decided to cover this one I immediately asked my friend from South Africa Grahame Sacks if me would do a track for me, so (in the middle of a personal matter, amazing) he did. All the music, guitars, bass, percussion were performed and recorded by him at his South African studio, how cool is that? I added what seems to be pretty darn amazing vocals...yes that is all me (I have no idea how that happened!)

Amy Armadillo - A little advice, if you ever ask a wizard to write you a song, it will be magical. That's what my pal Dave Kinnoin is, a song wizard. He wrote this to order. Amazing song that I arranged in an unusual way that really makes the tune pop. Did the crazy auto wa-wa solo in the middle...me...I rock.

Waddle Like a Penguin - I have been writing this song for years, enter Dave again to save the day. Inspired by Led Zeppelin. Oh, that's my boy on drums...awesome.

Desert Thunder - Again a Dave Kinnoin song, genus. I hate to sound like a broken record here, but the vocals are good...really good. This one has a kind of 80's Romantics or Aldo Nova feel. Love it.

Freebird - There are some songs full time old rock and roll road dogs like myself dread...Proud Mary, Old Time Rock and Roll, Sweet Home Alabama and the biggie (by the same band that brought us Sweet Home Alabama)...Freebird. Now, I have never had a problem with this song. A few months ago some of the parents were shouting it out...so I did it. Then one day I thought about the lyrics and how it can be about something else...a different kind of bittersweet love story a child could relate to. So ia added the spoken part about a little girl and an injured bird...zappo! Instant kids classic. I'm not as happy with the lead vocal here, we did the music and the vocal live, the mix is weird, but it feels right. I added some additional instrumentation and in place of the lead guitars I had my friend Wiley Rankin do wild harmonica solos at the end (while we were at a children s music conference!). Overall this is a cool piece, not perfect, but that's rock and roll.

Crocodile Rock - The last song to finish today. All doe except for the high falsetto part...I just can't do it...Mrs. Billy to the rescue tonight! Basic tracks recorded live, added some more keyboards at home.

Dressing Up My Animals - I needed one more track, so I called my buddy songwriter Monty Harper and asked him if he had a song about a giraffe, he did...was working on one with Dino O'Dell. I asked if I could have it in 24 hours...he laughed at me. But they did it. I am wrapping it up today after mixing and mastering the other 10 songs. It's funny, you'll like it.

Boogaloo Zoo - This track really cooks, you can feel the energy. This song was a major breakthrough, recorded live with a few additions in the studio. It really captures the power my son and I create onstage together...a rock and roll machine!

Different - This is a classic cut re released from my first CD, as is. I love this track and I don't think it ever go a fair shake so, let's try it again!

Wild Monkeys - Another retread that SCREAMS to be on this CD. Recorded and written by Will Hale and myself in a motel and Chinese restaurant in MN. Very catchy, cool tune.

I don't know...this CD is pretty darn solid. I should have everything done by tonight.

I will start work on my next MASTERPIECE (haha!) "The Out of Control Rock and Roll Reading Show" tomorrow...




2 comments:

  1. You are just amazing! It seems like the more you create, the more creative you get. Can't wait to listen to this album.
    -Sulinha-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah, it's crazy. I'm like the leaking dyke, nobody poke a finger at me!!!!

      Delete