12 CDs Done

Monday, October 15, 2012

OMG...It's gone! NOoooo....

OK, I'm kinda freaking out right now.

Over thew weekend I attended a music conference (The Children's Music Network) in the Chicago area. While I was there I interviewed many people for a new podcast I am launching soon (3 Answers with Kids Music Makers) and I did a recording session with one awesome multi instrumentalist from California, Wiley Rankin from Jump for Joy Music.

Wiley jammed some of the BEST harmonica ever for my attempt to turn the classic, CLASSIC, rock song FREEBIRD into a children's song.

I am in the studio today finishing off the CD, I leaded my session and the harmonica track...the ENTIRE SESSION is GONE!!!!!!!! NO!

We did it early in the morning...did I press the record button? Did I somehow delete it?  I have no fricken clue, this sucks.

Well, I did video the session on my iPhone. I will now attempt to lift the audio off the phone and drag it into Garageband and see if it is usable. Here I go, wish me luck!

OK...
Step 1-I converted the video into an MP3 with an app called Music Converter.
Step 2- opening Garageband and dragging the file in (went in just fine)
Step 3-OMG!!!! It sounds great! Really, nice and clean. Too bad Wiley wants me to "dirty it up" but I will.
Step 4-OK, the dirty sound is FANTASTIC! Wiley is a genius. I used a fuzz bass amp setting with extra compression...too cool. Sounds just like a "bullet" mic with a small Fender amp, very traditional.
Step 5-Don't freak out, make lemonade out of those lemons!

I will try to post the final song here tomorrow.

Here is the video we did and the actual audio you will hear in the final session. I highly recommend Wiley for harmonica, sax and flute sessions!


2 comments:

  1. If something like this ever happens again Wiley can simply re-record himself playing along to a track you email him, then email his part to you! I know you've done remote recording before, even across continents, so no need to freak.

    Glad to see you at the conference, my friend. Sorry I couldn't stop and do a podcast recording with you, but hey, we can do it remotely!!!! Any time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great harmonica player Billy. Got to fly but wanted to visit your blog. You are a busy cat! Good on ya. Bruce Cassidy

    ReplyDelete