12 CDs Done

Friday, August 17, 2012

The New Brick House

I love parody songs, in fact one of my all-time favorite recording artists is Weird Al. I've never really got into writing parody songs… I don't know why. But about two or three months ago Wil and I were talking about starting a sideband called "Uke Nukem" it will be ukulele and drums duo the plays comedy music and parodies. I wrote my first parody for this band called red shirt or maybe it's called crewmen... Don't remember, basically it's a parody of a police song called Roxanne and it's the song that pleads with the crewmen of the enterprise not to put on a red shirt because we all know they go first.

Last night when I couldn't sleep, which is a dilemma I've had a lot lately, I got the idea of doing a parody of the Commodores song Brickhouse.

Everybody knows the song Brickhouse, right?  Parents love that song (hear it at every wedding and oldies station) but the message is just not quite right for kids so I thought about Brickhouse and I figured...geewhiz, little pigs built a brick house so I ran with that and I wrote a story from the perspective of the big bad Wolf as he encounters a Strawhouse a Stickhouse and a Brickhouse!


Here are the lyrics below, I think I might include the song on my nexy CD called a boy and his guitar, what you think? I think the grownups will giggle because they know what the song is really about, and I think the retelling of the classic three little pigs the big bad Wolf is always a winner when it comes to kids, storytelling and music. Here you go...comments?

Straw House, Stick House, Brick House

Straw house
Little pig inside sleeping in his bed
I see a straw house
Banged on the door and this is what I said

Little pig let me in
He said not by the hair of my chinny chin chin
Then I'll huff and puff and blow your house down
When I did the little piggie packed up and left town

Went to a stick house
His brother built it now two piggies share the rent
Stick house
If they don't let me in they'll be living in a tent

Little pig let me in
They said not by the hair of our chinny chin chins
Then I'll huff and puff and blow your house down
The sticks went flying and the piggies ran to town

And bought a brick house
The other brother moved in with them today
Brick house
When I got there I could hear the three pigs say

Can't blow it blow it down, blow it down, down

Cause it's a brick house
It's mighty mighty you can hear them shout
It's our brick house
Put together everybody knows this is how the story goes

So I huffed and I puffed
But couldn't blow it down
So did what any big bad wolf would do
I got a ticket out of town

Far away from that brick house
Where the piggies safely stayed
Brick house
Three little piggies game well played

1 comment: