12 CDs Done

Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Judge a CD by it's Cover?


Yes William, a rose by any other name still would smell sweet, but would anyone pick it up and sniff if it looked like a dung beetle?

I've experienced this phenomenon firsthand. One of my better CDs that was recorded long ago had what I thought was a wonderful cover, but it just never sold very well while other CDs next to it that featured dancing bananas, monkeys, animals, trains… Stuff that kids really liked went flying off the shelves. 

Yes, you think I would know the importance of artwork when it comes to CD sales and getting attention. I did all the artwork for my new CD "A Boy and His Guitar" before I reported a note. However… I knew from the start it was going to be an all acoustic guitar CD, so why did I draw myself holding a red electric guitar??? See...


I have at least one friend who would pick that up right away and start sending e-mails and messages about how if kids here are an acoustic guitar they should see an acoustic guitar, not an electric guitar on the cover.

I thought about this last night and while the family watched my son play heavy rain on his PS3 I reviewed the artwork, but I kept the guitar red, I think it works. What do you think?



Before you go, here's another song from the new CD. This is a song by me, Oliver and Dave Kinnoin about the joy of doing chores, kinda. There still needs to be some editing done to this track, some of the cuts are uneven and the effects seem a little too deep. But overall, I really like this song. Hope you like it too…


No comments:

Post a Comment