12 CDs Done

Friday, April 20, 2012

Using a vintage PEARL guitar to record


I am very excited today, still on schedule recording at least one song a day all week. Today I am recording a song by one of my regular co-writers an friend Monty Harper from Oklahoma...so what does this have to do with a vintage PEARL guitar...and what the heck is a PEARL guitar anyway? read on...

The song is called "Pop Up. Sit Down" for the "Moving Day" CD (#4 of 12). The tune had a real Beatle-ly 1960's feel, so I took a piece of history off the shelf. A sort of Gibson SG knock off made in the 70's I think. But here is the weird part, the guitar has a PEARL drum logo on it! Has anyone ever seen one of these? I'd like to know more about it, it was given to me by a super fan back in my (grown-up) rock and roll touring days.

It has a REAL Bigsby vibrato arm (not a whammy bar kids!). Sounds very, very old school.

I recorded it direct into the iPad, 3 takes with different vintage amps...tweed, silver face and Vox.

Recording is going great, I'm doing it in the kitchen again to keep my blood flow going and burn a few ext a calories.

the song is just about done, I need to record some kids and lucky for me some are coming over tomorrow, my friends asked me to babysit...so I'll put them to work!

All in all a great day, planning to record a few songs with my son and daughter this weekend.

More shots of the old axe...





Somebody tell me more about this guitar, please?

2 comments:

  1. That kind of guitar, yes (obviously a Gibson SG copy). From Pearl: NO. Not aware they ever made guitars.
    Not that I am that good with guitars or anything, but looks like something rare… ;-)
    Have fun recording!

    Cheers, Peter

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, These beauties were probably produced in late 70s at Matsumoku, Japan. Very carefully made and good sounding instruments. I am a proud owner of LP (1980) - a bit dark but "thick" sound and loooong sustain. Guitars with its own character.
    best regards
    vit

    ReplyDelete